Forty reasons why you can’t afford to miss TEDxJohannesburgSalon: Hacking the Farm
The nature, texture, and posture of the farm are changing.
The gates are opening — slowly if not surely — to many who were previously excluded. Land reform promises to deliver tangible justice to those who’ve been deprived for far too long.
Human population is projected to reach an astounding 9.7 billion by 2050. Every mouth will need to eat, and do so well. What the farm needs to do today, to ensure that none go hungry tomorrow, is no longer a mystery.
Climate change remains a challenge. But human ingenuity is hard to beat. Strategies and tactics will emerge. They must emerge. The farm will make a plan.
Business models are shifting — the farm is transforming into a high performance, high growth enterprise. It’s adding value to crops, turning commodities into products, and moving up the supply chain.
The modern farm is a brand, with a USP, and a target audience. It can double-up as a factory, distillery, restaurant, place of learning, or even a wedding venue.
Today’s farm is experimenting with new production methods and processes: biotechnology, big data, GPS, drones, robotics, and autonomous systems.
Even the adjectives are changing: the farm can now be smart, precise, vertical, lean, organic, hydroponic, aeroponic, or aquaponic.
The farm, like the future, is not what it used to be.
So, get ready for TEDxJohannesburgSalon: Hacking the Farm. The event takes place on Thursday 1 March 2018, at Tshimologong Precinct, in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
Our lineup features farmers, technologists, economists, agronomists, entrepreneurs, researchers, inventors, designers, activists, and much more. Each will take the farm apart, and put it back together again.
Collectively, they will give us perspectives on the exciting changes that the farm is going through, as it transforms to meet the demands of a rapidly approaching future.
We’re thrilled that a truly awesome group of speakers have agreed to participate. See our stellar lineup here.
The TEDxJohannesburg team has spent some time thinking of reasons why anyone would want to miss this event. We couldn’t find any, but we did find forty reasons why you, or anyone else, can’t afford to miss it.
Here we go:
Are you a student?
- Exploring career options? You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the breadth of options that agriculture offers.
- Looking for role models? You could strike up a priceless conversation with an industry icon.
- Want to be a disruptor? Learn — live and direct — from some of the best innovators the agricultural industry has to offer.
- Enjoy learning? TEDxJohannesburg is the perfect place to exercise your curiosity muscle.
- Ready for a challenge? TEDxJohannesburg is the perfect place to flex your open-mindedness.
Are you a professional?
- Switching to greener pastures? Consider agriculture.
- Feeling a little crowded? Explore new avenues with us.
- Thought leader? Add your voice to an important conversation.
- LinkedIn not enough? Come network for real.
- You have a green thumb? Immerse yourself in your passion.
Are you a policymaker?
- Shaping government policy? Consult with farmers, technologists, economists, agronomists, entrepreneurs, researchers, inventors, designers, activists, and much more.
- Manage agriculture projects? Your beneficiaries might feature in the talks.
- Need to spend money? The event showcases quite a few stellar projects.
- Gathering intelligence? Come learn from those on the ground.
- Aligning systems? Sync with the industry you serve.
Are you a tech entrepreneur?
- Developing a new app? Find an agricultural use case.
- Working on drone technology? Explore applications in agriculture.
- Collating data? Make important connections at the event.
- Building a robot? Deploy it in agriculture.
- Setting up a hydroponic farm? Learn how long, how wide, how high, how much.
Do you represent a development agency?
- Want to change the world? Choose from up to two hundred potential collaborators in attendance.
- Agriculture high on your agenda? Come meet like-minded entities.
- Supporting agriculture programmes? Some of the best ones will be on stage, and in the audience.
- Have a mandate to deliver on Sustainable Development Goals? Agriculture delivers on all seventeen!
- Committed to ending poverty and eliminating hunger? Most attendees share your calling.
Do you represent a corporation?
- Do you run an agribusiness? Meet clients and customers.
- Are you an investor? Find new businesses to bet on.
- Is your business a consultancy? Discover new trends.
- Do you operate a retailer? Meet suppliers.
- Run an enterprise development programme? Identify agripreneurs that you could support.
Are you an academic?
- Doing research in agriculture? Our event is a lab. For big ideas.
- Teaching a course in agriculture? Our speakers share freshly harvested ideas, before those ideas get packaged into textbooks.
- Looking to sharpen your thinking? We serve good coffee during our conversation breaks.
- Want to find collaborators? We are a community of curious, open-minded people, just like you.
- Want to share an important breakthrough? TEDx talks have been viewed over 1 billion times since 2009.
Are you an agripreneur?
- Starting a farm? Come get the lay of the land.
- Already a farmer? Come learn new ropes.
- Going into agro-processing? Come learn the ins and outs.
- New in the game? Come make friends and influence people.
- Looking for inspiration? What are you waiting for?
Cost of attendance is only R750 (or 3 x 25kg bags of white maize meal). For that, you get twenty-one remarkable speakers, a full lunch, plus teas, and coffees. What’s more, your fee helps to pay for the videos that those who can’t attend, can watch later.
Learn more at tedxjohannesburg.co.za.
Buy your tickets now.